[R] Ignoring version numbers when installing packages...

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:41:18 CEST 2012

On 30/03/2012 12:05 PM, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> R-helpers:
>
> I'm trying to install a package from r-forge, and I'm wondering if
> there is a way to force R to install a package, even if the package
> "requires" a certain version of R (short of modifying the DESCRIPTION
> file)?  Cheers!

You don't give details, so the explanation is uncertain, but the answer
is clear: don't do that.

If you are trying to install a binary build, don't do that.  It might
appear to work but fail in messy ways if you use it in the wrong version
of R.  Some packages link to R internals, and those might have changed.

If you are trying to install from source, but the author said you need a
particular version of R, then you could modify the DESCRIPTION file:
but presumably the author had a reason to ask for a particular version,
so don't do that either.

Duncan Murdoch