[R] Help with loess "Standard Error of the Residuals"

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:55:41 CEST 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 07:27 , Bert Gunter wrote:

> John:
>
> 1. This is not really an R question. You should post on statistics
> help list , e.f. stats.stackexchange.com

If it is about the concrete implementation, then it is actually an R question. It probably won't harm to take a look at the code within stats:::simpleLoess, which at least brings some concepts to the surface: pseudoresiduals, trace.hat.out, etc. Some bells are heard ringing faintly from remote areas of my memory...

The role of the weights is also quite apparent in that piece of code.