[R] Data frame vs matrix quirk: Hinky error message?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue May 1 20:30:17 CEST 2012

On 01/05/2012 2:12 PM, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Many thanks, Ista:
>
> I only looked in "].default" so the answer is: Alternative 4: dumb
> Bert. Rap knuckles with ruler.
>
> Actually, indexing by a logical matrix doesn't make much  sense to me
> in either case, as it does not have the effect of selecting individual
> elements, which is what numeric matrix indices do. But that's a matter
> of usage, neither bug nor feature.
>
> If I had gotten something like the error message: "Matrix indices not
> allowed for replacement in data frames," I would not have been
> surprised. But as you said, the behavior **IS** documented.

Your version is not correct:  matrix indices *are* allowed for
replacement, but only logical matrix indices, not two column numerical
ones.   The message might be clearer if instead of saying "only logical
matrix subscripts are allowed in replacement"
it said "matrix subscripts must be logical matrices in replacement", but
I think the basic problem is the limitation.  I'll fix that.

Duncan Murdoch