[R] Cannot read or write to file in Linux Ubuntu

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu May 3 18:29:14 CEST 2012

Hi John,

You're probably messing up the path, just as you suspect.

If you use a relative path, like you are doing, then R looks for that
location starting at R's current working directory, visible with
getwd(). For linux, that's the location at which you started R if you
started it from a terminal.

The safest solution is to use an absolute path, which will likely be
something resembling "/home/john/DATA/... etc" - note that it will
always start with a / and go from there.

If you know how to start a terminal window and cd to where your file
is, pwd at the command prompt will give you the absolute path to that
location, which is what you should be using until you get more
comfortable with the file system.

The error message means that R can't find the directory you're telling
it to use.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee