[R] latex, Hmisc with MikTeX 2.8 produced "n&missing&unique" output

Durant, James T. (ATSDR/DCHI/SSB) hzd3 at cdc.gov
Fri May 4 15:50:21 CEST 2012

Hi -

So when I run the following, I get a strange formatting output with MikTeX, and I am unsure if the behavior is due to R, Hmisc, or MikTeX or both:

dfr <- data.frame(x=rnorm(400),y=sample(c('male','female'),400,TRUE))
latex(describe(dfr))

What happens is that the x column is summarized in the output of latex correctly. Then the y summary ends up looking like:

n&missing&unique
400&0&2

running Hmisc 2.9 on R version 2.14 on a windows 7, with MikTeX 2.8.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the TeX file had the following in it:

{\smaller
\begin{tabular}{ rrr }
n\&missing\&unique \\
400\&0\&2 \end{tabular}

Is there some setting that I need to adjust in MiKTeX to get it to recognize the style "{tabular}"? The only other symptom is that the output of the latex command hangs until I open the dvi output manually in my temp folder.

 I have the geometry.sty and the ctable.sty loaded per the documentation in Hmisc... any ideas?

VR

James

James T. Durant, MSPH CIH
Emergency Response Coordinator
US Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Atlanta, GA 30341
770-378-1695