[R] Replacing tick labels in a plot

Robert Latest boblatest at gmail.com
Fri May 4 19:09:22 CEST 2012

Hello,

is it possible to replace the text of tick marks in a plot?
Specifically, I'd like to have a ppnorm plot in which the theoretical
quantiles are not expressed in terms of standard deviations, but in
actual percentages. Anybody who's seen a probability plot in MINITAB
knows what I'm talking about.

I have somewhat listlessly looked at mtext(), thinking that I could
maybe first create my plot, then draw a white rectangle over the
original numbers (how?), and then inserting my own numbers using
mtext(). To me this sounds so stupid that I haven't yet invested any
effort into actually giving it a shot.

Any ideas?

BTW, is it normal that each and every post to this list, even by list
members, has to go through moderator approval?

Thanks,
robert