[R] How to read ANOVA output

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Mon May 7 19:15:32 CEST 2012

Hey all who have responded to this post. I am a newbie to ANOVA analysis in
R, and let me tell you- resources for us learners are scant, horrible,
unclear, imprecise.. in other words.. the worst ever. So advice like "go
look it up" in your "classical" textbook or on google is not helpful at all.
I am scouring posts like these to try to find some kind soul who not only
understands the basics, but is willing to help us new folk out.. sadly..
here is not the place.

--
Although it would be rude to tell you to go look it up yourself, you do not
pose a specific problem so it is impossible to provide a specific answer.

I myself am a user of statistics, not a statistician, but I firmly believe
that we must understand the statistics we use.  That means you won't get a
prescriptive answer from me without a focused question.

What made a huge difference for me in understanding ANOVA in R was John
Fox's book, An R and S-Plus Companion to Applied Regression Analysis.  It
really helps understand the R way of doing things.  Another helpful resource
for some of the classical ANOVA models is Murray Logan's, Biostatistical
Design and Analysis Using R: A Practical Guide .  It is an R resource that
follows the Quinn and Keogh Experimental and Data Analysis text with plenty
of R code and examples.  The only downside to the latter text is that it has
numerous typos that seem to have escaped the editing process.  If you
haven't already, I'd check these two resources.

Rob

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physiology
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A. T. Still University of Health Sciences
800 W. Jefferson St.
Kirksville, MO 63501
660-626-2322
FAX 660-626-2965