[R] What is the most cost effective hardware for R?

Hugh Morgan h.morgan at har.mrc.ac.uk
Tue May 8 12:49:11 CEST 2012

Has anyone got any advice about what hardware to buy to run lots of R
analysis?  Links to studies or other documents would be great as would
be personal opinion.

We are not currently certain what analysis we shall be running, but our
first implementation uses the functions lme and gls from the library
nlme.  To do one data point currently takes 1.5 seconds on our 3 year
old sunfire box, and the data points are completely independant so the
analysis is fully parallelisable without implmenting multi-threading
within each data point.  We have a reasnoble amount of sys admin support
in house.  We are an academic institution.  We are looking at spending a
few thousand to a small number of tens of thousands of dollars.

Any help greatly appreciated

This email may have a PROTECTIVE MARKING, for an explanation please see:
http://www.mrc.ac.uk/About/Informationandstandards/Documentmarking/index.htm