[R] What is the most cost effective hardware for R?

Hugh Morgan h.morgan at har.mrc.ac.uk
Tue May 8 17:50:21 CEST 2012

On 05/08/2012 12:14 PM, Zhou Fang wrote:
> How many data points do you have?

Currently 200,000.  We are likely to have 10 times that in 5 years.

>   Why buy when you can rent? Unless your hardware is going to be
> running 24/7 doing these analyses then you are paying for it to sit
> idle. You might be better off purchasing computing time from Amazon or
> another cloud computing provider. If you need to run more analyses
> quickly, just buy some more virtual hosts.

Because of the nature of the funding we are likely to be better off
buying.  We are likely to be running most of the time, most of the
analysis must be rerun as more data becomes available, and that is
likely to happen a few times every week.

Thank you for all the pointers, we shall consider them all.

This email may have a PROTECTIVE MARKING, for an explanation please see:
http://www.mrc.ac.uk/About/Informationandstandards/Documentmarking/index.htm