[R] What is the most cost effective hardware for R?

John Laing john.laing at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:22:39 CEST 2012

For 200,000 analyses at 1.5 seconds each, you're looking at ~83 hours
of computing time. You can buy time from Amazon at roughly $0.08 /
core / hour, so it would cost about $7 to run your analyses in the
cloud. Assuming complete parallelization you could fire up as many
machines as you need to get the work done in as little time as you
want, with the same fixed cost. I think that's a pretty compelling
argument, compared to the hassles of buying and maintaining hardware,
power supply, air conditioning, etc.

John