[R] Modifying R package code

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:19:30 CEST 2012

On 12-05-10 7:38 AM, Brian Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to change some code in an existing package. I downloaded the
> source package (say 'package_xx') from CRAN, and changed the R code
> provided in the /package_xx/R/xx.R. I then saved the changes and did the R
> CMD INSTALL -l /path to modified package/.

You don't want -l in that statement.  It says where to install it, not
what to install.

Simply using

R CMD INSTALL /path to modified package/

should be sufficient, assuming you have write permission on the default
library.  If you don't, then you do need to use -l, but it needs to
specify some other location in which to install your package, and after
you start R, you need to tell it (using .libPaths()) to look there
before looking in the standard place.

One other small bit of advice:  record the fact that you made a change
in the Version field in the DESCRIPTION file.  Later, when you are
tracking down bugs, it will be useful to remind you that nobody else can
duplicate your problems.

Duncan Murdoch