[R] problem with Gauss Hermite ( x and w )

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu May 10 22:03:47 CEST 2012

Hello,

> Negative powers mean they take the reciprocal and as far as I am
> concerned, real^real is just a real number.
> Am I mistaking something basic?

Yes, you are.

real^real is not necessarily real.

The most well known example is (-1)^0.5 = imaginary unit.
When you say that -2.5^(-2.4) is real you're computing the negative power of
a POSITIVE real, 2.5 then taking the result's  symmetric.

(-2.5)^(-2.4)
[1] NaN

Or
(-1)^0.5
[1] NaN
-1^0.5
[1] -1

(-1 + 0i)^0.5 # algebraically, equal to (-1)^0.5 above, but not in R
notation.
[1] 0+1i

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas