[R] How to interpret an ANOVA result?

Robert Latest boblatest at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:51:40 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Bryan Hanson <hanson at depauw.edu> wrote:
> I see that no one has replied on this, so I'll take a stab.

Hi, Ryan!

> This is probably a matter of personal taste, but I would suggest a somewhat different and simpler approach.  What you have done is not strictly an ANOVA, it's a linear model (they are related).  But the particular way you've asked R to report gives you the answer in terms of the linear model.

I did that because it seemed to give me the estimates (means) and
standard errors for each factor level in a nice table.

> That means your significance stars refer to whether or not the slopes in the model differ significantly from zero.  Perhaps you are aware of this.

I'm not. In a dataset with no continuous explanatory variables, where
do the slopes come from? I though in this case R only outputs
intercepts.

> Anyway, I thought your data set was interesting, so I took the approach that comes to my mind.  Here it is.  It might be pretty much self-explanatory, if not, try ?aov and ?TukeyHSD for details.

TukeyHSD looks interesting. I'll look into it.

Thanks,
robert