[R] caret: Error when using rpart and CV != LOOCV

Dominik Bruhn dominik at dbruhn.de
Wed May 16 17:54:26 CEST 2012

Thanks Max for your answer.

First, I do not understand your post. Why is it a problem if two of
predictions match? From the formula for calculating R^2 I can see that
there will be a DivByZero iff the total sum of squares is 0. This is
only true if the predictions of all the predicted points from the
test-set are equal to the mean of the test-set. Why should this happen?

Anyway, I wrote the following code to check what you tried to tell:

--
library(caret)
data(trees)

customSummary <- function (data, lev = NULL, model = NULL) {
    print(summary(data$pred))
    return(defaultSummary(data, lev, model))
}

tc=trainControl(method='cv', summaryFunction=customSummary)
train(formula, data=trees,  method='rpart', trControl=tc)
--

This outputs:
---

As I didn't understand your post, I don't know if this confirms your
assumption.

Thanks anyway,
Dominik

On 16/05/12 17:30, Max Kuhn wrote:
> [...]
>
> Almost every incarnation of R^2 requires the variance of the
> prediction. This particular failure mode would result in a divide by
> zero.
>
> Try using you own summary function (see ?trainControl) and put a
> print(summary(data$pred)) in there to verify my claim.
>
> Max
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Max Kuhn <mxkuhn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More information is needed to be sure, but it is most likely that some
>> of the resampled rpart models produce the same prediction for the
>> hold-out samples (likely the result of no viable split being found).
>>
>> Almost every incarnation of R^2 requires the variance of the
>> prediction. This particular failure mode would result in a divide by
>> zero.
>>
>> Try using you own summary function (see ?trainControl) and put a
>> print(summary(data$pred)) in there to verify my claim.
>>
>> Max
>>
>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 5:55 AM, Dominik Bruhn <dominik at dbruhn.de> wrote:
>>> Hy,
>>> I got the following problem when trying to build a rpart model and using
>>> everything but LOOCV. Originally, I wanted to used k-fold partitioning,
>>> but every partitioning except LOOCV throws the following warning:
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Warning message: In nominalTrainWorkflow(dat = trainData, info =
>>> trainInfo, method = method, : There were missing values in resampled
>>> performance measures.
>>> -----
>>>
>>> Below are some simplified testcases which repoduce the warning on my
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Question: What does this error mean? How can I avoid it?
>>>
>>> System-Information:
>>> -----
>>> R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
>>> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>>>
>>> locale:
>>>  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>>>  [3] LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8
>>>  [5] LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8
>>>  [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
>>>  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
>>> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>>
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>>>
>>> other attached packages:
>>> [1] rpart_3.1-52   caret_5.15-023 foreach_1.4.0  cluster_1.14.2
>>> reshape_0.8.4
>>> [6] plyr_1.7.1     lattice_0.20-6

>>> [1] codetools_0.2-8 compiler_2.15.0 grid_2.15.0     iterators_1.0.6
>>> [5] tools_2.15.0
>>> -------
>>>

>>> Simlified Testcase I: Throws warning
>>> ---
>>> library(caret)
>>> data(trees)
>>> formula=Volume~Girth+Height
>>> train(formula, data=trees,  method='rpart')
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Simlified Testcase II: Every other CV-method also throws the warning,
>>> tc=trainControl(method='cv')
>>> train(formula, data=trees,  method='rpart', trControl=tc)
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Simlified Testcase III: The only CV-method which is working is 'LOOCV':
>>> ---
>>> library(caret)
>>> data(trees)
>>> formula=Volume~Girth+Height