[R] Help needed for efficient way to loop through rows and columns

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu May 17 16:02:55 CEST 2012

This will accomplish what you want and should be relatively easy to modify.

# Create data.fram
names <- c("S1", "S2", "S3", "S4")
X <- c("BB", "AA", "AB", "AA")
Y <- c("BB", "BB", "AB", "AA")
Z <- c("BB", "BB", "AA", NA)
AorB <- c("A", "A", "B", "B")
sample <- data.frame(names, X, Y, Z, AorB,
  stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

# Create recoded data.frame
samplemod <- sample
samplemod[,2:4] <- NA

# Recoded values into samplemod
for (i in 1:nrow(sample)) {
  for (j in 2:4) {
    if (!is.na(sample[i,j])){
      if (sample[i, 5] == "A") {
        samplemod[i,j] <- switch(sample[i,j], AA = 2,
          AB = 1, BA = 1, BB = 0)
      }
      else {
        if (sample[i, 5] == "B") {
        samplemod[i,j] <- switch(sample[i,j], AA = 0,
          AB = 1, BA = 1, BB = 2)
        }
      }
    }