[R] Failure building any package

Noah Silverman noahsilverman at ucla.edu
Fri May 18 04:44:59 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm attempting to build a package using R 2.15.0 on OS X

I am getting a generic failure when performing a cran type check on the package.  Even with a very simple test package, it still fails int he same place.

Example:

In R:
rm(list=ls())
foo <- function(x){print(x)}
package.skeleton(name="foo")

Then, at the command line:
R CMD build foo
R CMD check --as-cran foo_1.0.tar.gz

<Some output not included here>
* checking whether package ‘foo’ can be installed … ERROR
Installation failed.
See ‘foo.Rcheck/00install.out’ for details.

Looking at the 00install.out file, I see:

* installing *source* package ‘foo’ ...
** R
Error in parse(outFile) : 5949:10: unexpected symbol
5948:     c(01, 00, 00, 00, 01, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00,
5949:     e0, 3f
              ^
ERROR: unable to collate and parse R files for package ‘foo’

Can anyone help explain what is happening here?  This is the most generic and empty package I can think of, so not sure why a build is failing.

Thanks!

--
Noah Silverman
UCLA Department of Statistics