[R] Optimization inconsistencies

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri May 18 10:31:45 CEST 2012

On May 18, 2012, at 09:10 , Hans W Borchers wrote:

> peter dalgaard <pdalgd <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> On May 18, 2012, at 00:14 , Nathan Stephens wrote:
>>
>>> I have a very simple maximization problem where I'm solving for the vector
>>> x:
>>>
>>> objective function:
>>> w'x = value to maximize
>>>
>>> box constraints (for all elements of w):
>>> low < x < high
>>>
>>> equality constraint:
>>> sum(x) = 1
>>>
>>> But I get inconsistent results depending on what starting values I. I've
>>> tried various packages but none seem to bee the very solver in Excel. Any
>>> recommendations on what packages or functions I should try?
>
> Use the equality constraint to reduce the dimension of the problem by one.
> Then formulate the inequality constraints and apply, e.g., constrOptim().
> You can immediately write down and use the gradient, so method "L-BFGS-B" is
> appropriate.

I considered making a similar remark, then realized that lpSolve actually allows equality constraints, so why not just use the tool that is designed for the job?

> Because the problem is linear, there is only one maximum and no dependency
> on starting values.

However, with a linear objective function, the Hessian is 0 and the maximum is attained at a corner point, which is likely to confuse algorithms that expect a locally quadratic function.

> If you had supplied some data and code (which packages did you try, and how?),
> a more concrete answer would have been possible. My own test example worked
> out of the box.

Yes, also from the development perspective. We need to see more of these hard examples.