[R] translation

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri May 18 20:23:57 CEST 2012

On May 18, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 12-05-18 5:15 AM, gholi bahrami wrote:
>> Dear Sir/Madam
>> I am a BSc student studying statistics in Ferdowsi University of
>> Mashhad,Iran.
>> Translating R messages to Farsi is my thesis and I have already
>> downloaded *poEdit*  to translate those messages.However, the
>> created .mo files for R.pot and RGui.pot are not useful at all.
>> I would like to be informed if there is something wrong with right-
>> to-left encoding or Farsi fonts or Farsi support.
>> I am eagerly looking forward to hearing from you soon.
>> I greatly appreciate the assistance you may provided me.
>
> Could you please repost to the R-devel list, with some more
> details?  As far as I know Farsi would be our first right-to-left
> language, so I'd expect problems.

Hebrew? We had an earlier question relating to plotting displays about
right-to-left displaying Hebrew text improperly, but as far as I know
the console displays were working properly.

A search for "right-to-left" with RSeek suggests you may get some
support with package:ISOcodes.

However, I do not see Farsi in the list of languages supported at:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ISO-639-2_utf-8.txt

But my knowledge in this area is very skimpy and the glyph-set needed
may go by another name.