[R] Menus - best practices?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat May 19 09:31:45 CEST 2012

On May 19, 2012, at 01:45 , Noah Silverman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to design a fairly simple front-end for someone to use an R script system that I've built.  My thought was to just use the text based menus available in the base R package, perhaps in some kind of loop.
>
> How have other people done this?  Any "best practices" that you can recommend?

"Best practice" is a bit contentious, but several people have found that the tcltk package offers a path of low resistance. Just do library(tcltk) and e.g. demo(tkdensity) or demo(tkttest) to see whether it is of use to you (study the code for the demo).

In the Windows GUI, there are also features to add items to the menubar, using winMenuAdd and friends. These aren't portable to other architectures, though.