[R] Contingency table and mean(sd)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat May 19 20:22:27 CEST 2012

On May 19, 2012, at 7:46 AM, Ross, Stephanie wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a question regarding contingency tables. I would like to
> calculate the mean and standard deviation of a continuous variable
> from my own dataset based on the percentages of a contingency table
> I obtained from a scientific article.
>
> dataset<- data.frame(cbind(case=rep(0:1,5), x1=c(1:10), x2=c(0:9)))
> contingency_table<- matrix(c(100, 75, 65, 85, 90, 87), nrow=3, ncol=3)
>
> In other words I would like to calculate the mean and standard
> deviation of "X1" based on the frequencies of the contingency table.

You may need to expand upon the connections you see between 'dataset'
and 'contingency_table'. (I see none.) The request to "calculate the
mean and standard deviation of a continuous variable from my own
dataset based on the percentages of a contingency table" likewise
makes no sense to me.

Perhaps you could refer to an actual article with a hypertext link?
and say what estimate you want from which table?

(Some of us are impossibly concrete in our thinking.)

--
David.