[R] translation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 20 09:05:50 CEST 2012

On 20/05/2012 00:01, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 12-05-18 2:23 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

>>> Could you please repost to the R-devel list, with some more
>>> details? As far as I know Farsi would be our first right-to-left
>>> language, so I'd expect problems.
>>
>> Hebrew? We had an earlier question relating to plotting displays about
>> right-to-left displaying Hebrew text improperly, but as far as I know
>> the console displays were working properly.
>
> I don't think we have Hebrew translations of messages, but I might be
> wrong about that.

I don't know that we do either, but as messages are just streams of
bytes, their direction is not relevant at the translation stage.  What
is relevant is how the translated messages are displayed, and we do have
experience with that in Hebrew.   We don't have an OS mentioned here: as
I wrote to you privately, experience suggests that Hebrew is displayed
correctly in Linux, but mixed English-Hebrew lines are not on Windows.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk