[R] Names of Greek letters stored as character strings; plotmath.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon May 21 02:00:42 CEST 2012

On 12-05-20 6:53 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
> [...]

I think you have to try writing C code to work with R objects to really
understand what's going on.  Reading those sections of the Writing R
Extensions manual will probably help, but actually writing C code to do
it may be necessary.

It's not really a very complicated system, it's just that things that
are obviously different in C (e.g. the R symbol name "gamma" versus the
string "gamma") look confusingly similar in R.

You might be able to figure this out by studying the result of str(x)
(or the low level .Internal(inspect(x))) for lots of different x
objects, but I don't think it's going to make sense unless you know
what's going on behind the curtain.

Duncan Murdoch