[R] Rprofile.site under Windows 7?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:12:14 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Spencer Graves
<spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 9:27 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>
>> On 12-05-04 10:33 PM, Joshua Wiley wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> I don't see how this is Emacs fault...
>>

>> It claimed to save a file somewhere, but didn't.
>

>      The file was saved, because when I reopened it in Emacs, the changes
> were there.  Windows 7 created a phantom copy, which it delivered to Emacs
> when I clicked and dragged it to the Emacs icon on the task bar.  To fix the
> problem, I copied the file to a non-protected place, opened it and the other
> copy in Emacs, copied the changes from the phantom copy into the
> non-protected copy, then copied the non-protected, edited version into the
> protected, default R installation directory.  I had not encountered this
> problem earlier, because I usually install R in an unprotected location.  I
> got sloppy with R 1.15.0 and accepted the default installation directory.

Do you actually have multiple users on your PC accessing R?  If not,
you could avoid using the Rprofile.site file entirely and just put a
.Rprofile file having the same contents using the %userprofile% folder
for the user who uses R.  That would avoid the problem of writing into
system space.  Alternately save Rprofile.site as Adminstrator.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com