[R] all occurences of an element in a vector

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Mon May 21 19:30:24 CEST 2012

To convert this from the abstract to the real ...

In what sense does %in% return only the first occurrence of an element?
See:

> foo <- c('1','n','m','e','m','n','n','u')
> foo[foo %in% c('m','n')]
[1] "n" "m" "m" "n" "n"

> cbind(foo, foo %in% c('m','n'))
     foo
[1,] "1" "FALSE"
[2,] "n" "TRUE"
[3,] "m" "TRUE"
[4,] "e" "FALSE"
[5,] "m" "TRUE"
[6,] "n" "TRUE"
[7,] "n" "TRUE"
[8,] "u" "FALSE"

It sure looks to me like %in% identifies all the occurrences of
[m,n] in [1,n,m,e,m,n,n,u]

Or did you mean [m,n] appearing next to each other in that order???

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave., L-627