[R] Is there a way to save EVERYTHING in R?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue May 22 20:22:41 CEST 2012

On 22.05.2012 19:50, Michael wrote:
> Is there a way to save EVERYTHING in R?
>
> Hi all,
>
> Could you please shed some lights on me about this?
>
> I am trying to see if there is a way to save EVERYTHING in R to a file,
> something like "save.image"...
>
> But "save.image" doesn't save environment variables such as those
> properties that are obtained using "Sys.getenv()" function...
>
> So is there a way to save EVERYTHING?

Well, the answer is yes, but not as you expect: If you have a virtual
machine running only accessing a local filesystem, you can create a
snapshot.

So, for other practical purposes and in the sense but not wording of you
question:
No, environment variables are part of the OS (or the shell).
If you want to save EVERYTHING this way, you'd need an image of both,
the RAM of you machine as well as the current state of all filesystems etc.

Best,
Uwe Ligges