[R] pad leading zeros in front of strings

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:55:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

I think it's because " " is used to pad strings, while 0 is used to
pad numbers*. If your values are always numeric, but stored as
strings, you could use:

> x <- "123"
> sprintf("%05d", as.numeric(x))
[1] "00123"

* From ?sprintf:
    ‘0’ For numbers, pad to the field width with leading zeros.

I think some language implementations allow for specifying different
pad characters, but R's doesn't seem to.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org