[R] Windows 7 installation issues

Wed May 30 05:04:12 CEST 2012

a) Please read the Posting Guidelines mentioned at the bottom of every message. One rule is this is a plain text email list, so adjust your mail client to post text to this email list, not HTML.

b) For best results, do not run R as administrator except to update base packages. R works fine using a package library in your user Documents directory, and files created while running as Administrator will have inconvenient permissions and running that way will also expose your system unnecessarily to security flaws.

c) The instructions for testing a Windows installation omit a critical parameter name specification, and if you don't have RTools installed and findable by R then you need to sort through the errors to decide which ones are not critical. Use

testInstalledPackages(scope="base",errorsAreFatal=FALSE)

running R as a normal user. For complete testing, install Rtools. (I discovered the parameter specification problem by reading the help documentation through ?testInstalledPackages.)
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing