[R] data frame to frequencies

cassiorx cassiodorus at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 21:25:17 CEST 2012

I have a data frame that has columns Semester, Student ID (SID), Subject,
Grade, Devel (Tor F). Students can have multiple records within a semester.
Right now, the columns are not considered factors.

I want to do an analysis that would show the number of students who received
particular combinations of grades. I also need to distinguish between the
two Development levels (they modify classes, not students), but first things
first.
                                                        Grade
Semester      Count            A   B   C   D   F other
S1                         17               1    2    0   0   0    0
                             49                1    1    1   0   0    0
                            112               0   0    0   0   0    2
                                     etc.

I can do this procedurally but that leads to a life of trouble and ugly
code. Your help deeply appreciated to do this in a r way.