[R] customizing asix in xyplot in lattice

Kris Jaeger kristinljaeger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:11:47 CET 2012

Hello,

I have a time series dataset in long format (15 minute data over
approximately 2 years). The data set is composed of time series of multiple
sensors; much of the time series are duplicate dates and times, but of
different lengths.

I can plot the data converting the datetime to as.numeric, but they do not
plot if I keep the data as POSIXlt.

I know xyplot would plot the data if it was a zoo object, but my
understanding (which could be wrong) is that I can’t convert to a zoo due to
different lengths between my  time series.

Does anyone have experience plotting DateTime series in xyplot and having
the axis labels be meaningful?

The following is my working code so far
xyplot(Cond ~ as.numeric(DateTime) | Sensor, data = dat, groups = id,
  layout=c(1, 2), type="l", xlab="Date", ylab="Relative Conductivity")

I've incorporated scales but without luck

xyplot(Cond ~ as.numeric(DateTime) | Sensor, data = dat, groups = id,
  layout=c(1, 2), type="l", xlab="Date", ylab="Relative Conductivity",
scales = list(x = list(julian(dat$DateTime) )))

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Kris