[R] How to modify a S4 function (in the package NADA)

maxbre mbressan at arpa.veneto.it
Thu Nov 15 13:00:42 CET 2012

I want to get access to the code of an S4 method in order to possibly modify
a function to accomplish my particular needs: in my case the function in is
cenfit() from the package NADA

Now, given my reproducible example:

my.ex<-structure(list(TEC = c(0.21, 0.077, 0.06, 0.033, 0.014, 0.0072), LR =
c(0L, 0L, 1L, 0L, 1L, 0L)), .Names = c("TEC", "LR"), class = "data.frame",
row.names = c(NA, -6L))

and the following few lines of code:

library(“NADA)

attach(my.ex)

cenfit(TEC,LR)

giving this output:

  n      n.cen         median       mean      sd
6.00     2.00              0.033           0.058       0.083

I would like to add one more result to the above, namely “sum”, very simply
computed as the product of “n” times “mean”

Do you think that is possible or convenient?

I’ve been reading that editing a S4 methods needs particular attention as by
using showMethods("cenfit") and then getMethod("cenfit"); in fact, I’ve been
trying that but without much success (i.e. understanding of the cumbersome
output)

can anyone give me some help on how is probably better to proceed in order
to get my new result?

different alternative solutions or hints or advices are also more than
welcomed
(I’m pretty new on R and specially on the field of function handling and
customizing)

all the best

max