[R] Compraring two independent samples

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Thu Nov 15 19:17:33 CET 2012

Hi,

In my reading of pairing means of two independent samples, I read statements
such as the standard error of the meanof X1 minus the mean of X2 is the
square root of s1^2/n1+s2^2/n2. Then I read:

"We could now derive the two independent samples confidence interval and
test statistic. However, a problem arises in that the distribution of the
test statistic (under the null hypothesis) will not be a t-distribution."

I keep seeing this type of thing stated in a variety of readings but I never
seem to get an explanation. This is just stated and the author goes on to an
alternate approach.

So, I am wondering if there is some sort of R simulation that could be used
to demonstrate that this distribution is not a t-distribution.

David