[R] confidence intervals with glmmPQL

Sally_roman sroman at umassd.edu
Thu Nov 15 19:37:09 CET 2012

Hi - I am using R version 2.13.0.  I have run several GLMMs using the glmmPQL
function to model the proportion of fish caught in one net to the total
caught in both nets by length.  I started with a polynomial regression full
model with three length terms: l, l^2, and l^3 (l=length).  The length terms
and intercept were the fixed effects and the random effect was a paired haul
(n=18).

m1<-glmmPQL(fixed=Proportion~1+Length+second+third,random=~1|Pair,family=binomial,data=species,verbose=T,niter=2,weight=(Experimental+Control))

For the majority of the models, I ended up with a constant model with no
length effect.  The issue I am having is with the confidence intervals that
were calculated.  For two models the CIs are not symmetrical around the mean
proportion from the model.  The CIs for the other constant models are
symmetrical around the mean.  I was wondering if anyone has an idea why this
would be or if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks Sally