[R] How to control plotting formula above lm diagnostic plots?

ksaw k.sawicka at pgr.reading.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 18:58:17 CET 2012

Dear All,

I am trying to plot four diagnostic plots for my lm in one window.

Here is some random data for an example:
  a = rnorm(20, mean=2, sd=0.2)
  b = rnorm(20, mean=1, sd=0.4)
  model=lm(a~b)

When I set the page as:
  par(mfrow=c(1,1), oma=c(1,0,2,0))
and plot my model:
  plot(model)

above all four plots the formula lm(a~b) is printed.

What is interesting if I set the page to have two plots per page (still
plotting all four using plot(model)), the formula is plotted only above the
last two. When I set the page to have one plot per page (still plotting all
four using plot(model)) the formula is not printed above any of the plots.

Is there any way to control plotting the formula above the diagnostic plots
if I have multiple per page? To control the text size, font, position, or
just not to have it plotted it at all? Playing with the option 'main' or
'cex.main' inside the 'plot' function does not change anything.

Many thanks

Kasia