[R] Performing operations only on selected data

Marcel Curlin cemarcel at u.washington.edu
Sat Nov 24 15:07:47 CET 2012

I spent some time on this simple question, also searched the forum,
eventually hacked my way to an ugly solution for my particular problem but I
would like to improve my coding:

I have data of the form:
df <- expand.grid(group=c('copper', 'zinc', 'aluminum', 'nickel'),
condition1=c(1:4))

I would like to add a new data column "condition2", with values equal to the
value of condition1 plus a random number from 0-1 (uniform distribution)  if
the value of condition1 is < 1, or just condition1 if the value of
condition1 is > 1. More generally, my interest is in manipulating the values
of condition1 if they meet one or more criteria, or keeping the values the
same otherwise. Thanks for any thoughts!