[R] Accumulate objects in list after try()

mdvaan mathijsdevaan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 07:09:38 CET 2012

Hi,

I have written a function "harvest" and I would like to run the function for
each value in a vector c(1:1000). The function returns 4 list objects
(obj_1, obj_3, obj_3, obj_4) using the following code at the end of the
function: return(list(obj_1 = obj_1, obj_2 = obj_2, obj_3 = obj_3, obj_4 =
obj_4)).

Since I am connecting with the web in the function and the connection
sometimes fails causing errors to occur, I invoke the function as follows:

for(i in 1:1000){
  result <- try(harvest(i));
  if(class(result) == "try-error") next;
  }

Everything works well accept for the fact that "result" only stores obj_1,
obj_2, obj_3,  obj_4 for the last i in the loop. How do I store obj_1,
obj_2, obj_3,  obj_4 for the first i in the first 4 elements of result, the
objects for the second i in the next 4 elements, etc?

Thank you very much.