[R] Merge data frame with mispelling characters

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 20:19:28 CET 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 11:20 AM, VictorDelgado wrote:

> Hello dear R-helpers,
>
> I'm working with R-2.15.2 on Windows 7 OS. I'm stucked with a merge of two
> data frames by characters.
> In each data frame I got two different list of names, that is my main-key to
> be merged.
>
> To figure out what I'm saying, I build up a modified "?merge" example, with
> errors by purpose:
>
> # Data for authors:
>
> authors <- data.frame(
>    surname = I(c("Tukey", "Venable", "Terney", "Ripley", "McNeil")),
>    nationality = c("US", "Australia", "US", "UK", "Australia"),
>    deceased = c("yes", rep("no", 4)))
>
> "Venables" is without  the final 's', and "Tierney, without "i".
>
> # Data for books:
>
> books <- data.frame(
>    surname = I(c("Tukey", "Venables", "Tierney",
>             "Ripley", "Rippley", "McNeil", "R Core")),
>    title = c("Exploratory Data Analysis",
>              "Modern Applied Statistics ...",
>              "LISP-STAT",
>              "Spatial Statistics", "Stochastic Simulation",
>              "Interactive Data Analysis",
>              "An Introduction to R"),
>    other.author = c(NA, "Ripley", NA, NA, NA, NA,
>                     "Venables & Smith"))

In your example the authors list has better spelling. The 'agrep' functions by default will return matches that are 90% ( or more precisely Levenshtein distance of less than or equalt to 0.1) :

books$altname <- NA
altidx <- unlist( sapply(books$surname, agrep, authors$surname) )
books$altname[seq(altidx)] <- authors$surname[altidx]
books
#-----------------------
   surname                         title     other.author altname
1    Tukey     Exploratory Data Analysis             <NA>   Tukey
2 Venables Modern Applied Statistics ...           Ripley Venable
3  Tierney                     LISP-STAT             <NA>  Terney
4   Ripley            Spatial Statistics             <NA>  Ripley
5  Rippley         Stochastic Simulation             <NA>  Ripley
6   McNeil     Interactive Data Analysis             <NA>  McNeil
7   R Core          An Introduction to R Venables & Smith    <NA>

If you then match 'books' to 'authors' with a merge on authors$surname and books$altname, you should get closer to your goals

--
David.