[R] A general question: Is language S a component part of R?

Suzen, Mehmet msuzen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:21:25 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, November 5, 2012, Rolf Turner wrote:
>
>> On 06/11/12 09:40, Iurie Malai wrote:
>>
>>> So, R (as a language) can be viewed as an extended S language (S + some
>>> improvements)? And the R environment includes this (extended) language +
>>> extensions?

R has lots of similarities but it isn't "just" extended S!!! it has
many better features grammatically.
R packaging to low level language integration being small set of
differences. I recommend you to
read the R book by the inventor of S, John Chambers, (ACM award
recipient) to understand
the fundamental differences:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Software-Data-Analysis-Prt
ogramming-Statistics/dp/0387759352

S/S+ is a commercial product. R community and academics provides much
larger and high
quality/reliable open source alternative to this and yet let anyone
use it for free, as in freedom,
even if you are nasty person, you are allowed to practice this.

>> Are others getting as sick of this silly, pedantic and completely
>> irrelevant pseudo-scholasticism as I am?

What did you contribute to world accept making toxic comments on the list of
one of the largest open source academic software on the planet?

No cookies for you, go home.