[R] averaging a list of matrices element wise

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Nov 6 14:45:56 CET 2012

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Arun's suggestion of using simplify2array is only marginally faster than my attempt.
The solutions of Dimitris and Bert however were 78 and 30 times faster than my attempt (using n = 51, s = 25, r = 1000 what will be about their size in my application).

As there shouldn't be any missing data in the array, I'll stick to the solution based on Reduce() because I find it as well fast as elegant.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey