[R] R and SPSS

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 23:58:59 CET 2012

Jeremy Miles <jeremy.miles <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think we'll need some output to know so we can see the differences. (And
> data and code would be useful too, if you could provide a small example).

  Definitely.

> One thought is that the programs might remove a variable that is completely
> collinear, but the different programs might remove different variables - so
> check that the same variables have been removed.
>
> Jeremy

  Furthermore, with severely collinear models, small numerical differences
can make a big difference, either in which variables you choose to remove
(e.g. if the variance inflation factors come out as (9.999,10.001) for
variables 1 and 2 in one package, but (10.001,9.999) in the other, or
in the actual linear algebra (based on technical details of linear algebra
and floating-point computations)