[R] For loop question

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Nov 11 01:07:03 CET 2012

On Nov 10, 2012, at 2:36 PM, dae wrote:

> I have this code:
> IEF <- to.monthly(IEF, indexAt="endof")
> SPY <- to.monthly(SPY, indexAt="endof")
>
> I would like to use a for loop instead of separate entries,
> so the only code that needs to be modified is the list
> of symbols.
>
> symbols <- c("IEF", "SPY")
> for(symbol in symbols) {
>      symbol <- to.monthly(symbol, indexAt="endof")
> }
> This for loop doesn't work. It puts each output into
> *symbol *not into *IEF *and *SPY*.
> How do I put the output into the existing objects using
> a for loop?

http://127.0.0.1:21620/doc/manual/R-FAQ.html#How-can-I-turn-a-string-into-a-variable_003f

OOOPs. That link is the one to my own private version of the FAQ. You, of course, have one on your machine since it comes with every default installation, or you can get the one oneCRAN from Google with a search on : R FAQ.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA