[R] Looking for a test of standard normality

Herschtal Alan Alan.Herschtal at petermac.org
Mon Nov 12 03:12:13 CET 2012

Thanks for your response. The background is that I am trying to test
whether a small sample and a much larger sample actually came from the
same distribution. I could just perform a KS test on the 2 samples, but
as I said, ideally I'd like a test that is more powerful than that. So I
look at the percentile ranks of the small sample within the large
sample, which should be uniformly distributed if the 2 samples are from
the same population, and then transform using "qnorm". The result should
be standard normal. Perhaps the next best alternative is to do
chi-square test on the percentiles, checking for equal numbers in each
decile bin. This would certainly work, and the only disadvantage that I
can see is that the selection of the bin boundaries is somewhat
arbitrary.

Alan Herschtal
Senior Biostatistician
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre