[R] Importing Data for a two sample t-test

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 14:05:37 CET 2012

Hi,

Not sure why you wanted to separate A and B for a two sample t-test.
dat1<-read.table(text="
weights  company
1                  A
2                  A
2                  B
3                  B
",sep="",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
 t.test(weights~company,data=dat1)

#    Welch Two Sample t-test
#
#data:  weights by company
#t = -1.4142, df = 2, p-value = 0.2929
#alternative hypothesis: true difference in means is not equal to 0
#95 percent confidence interval:
 #-4.042435  2.042435
#sample estimates:
#mean in group A mean in group B
  #          1.5             2.5

In case, you wanted to separate A and B:
library(reshape2)
dcast(dat1,weights~company,value.var="weights")
#  weights  A  B
#1       1  1 NA
#2       2  2  2
#3       3 NA  3