[R] Boxplot in R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Nov 16 21:24:24 CET 2012

On Nov 16, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Elli <ellilti_017 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> How to calculate the boxplots R? This question arises because we are building
> manually boxplots, we consulted various literature sources for calculations
> of the boxplot but our results differ from those generated by R, especially
> when calculating the whiskers.
> What is the procedure used by R to perform these calculations?
> Anyone can help us please?

A reading of the help page for the function using ?boxplot would be enlightening, taking note of the 'range' argument relative to the whiskers, which defaults to 1.5.

The See Also on that help page points you to ?boxplot.stats "which does the computation" and has additional detail. Both pages list references.

If all else fails, since R is open source, you can always look at the source code for both functions to follow exactly what is done.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz