[R] Ben Bolker's '‘emdbook’ Package , rbetabinom

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 23:27:44 CET 2012

arun4 <arun.ganesh2012 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am using rbetabinom ( to generate beta binomial random variables) function
> available in the "emdbook"package written by Professor. Ben Bolker for my
> research study.
> I have no questions with this function. However, I am looking for the
> theoretical method/algorithm  of the function "rbetabinom " .
> Morris (1997), American Naturalist 150:299-327 is given as the reference in
> the package, But I couldn't fund any theoretical methods to generate beta
> binomial random variables in this article.
>
> I would like to kind request you to suggest me any journal paper or document
> to study the methods of generating  beta binomial random variables used to
> write the function "rbetabinom".

  I answered this off-list (suggesting that the OP look at the
source code of the function, which is very simple).

  The book gives other references to the beta-binomial, including
Crowder (1978), Reeve and Murdoch (1985), and Hatfield (1996), although
the latter two are ecological rather than statistical examples
and I doubt any of them discusses random deviate generation.