[R] [lattice] how to overlay a geographical map on a levelplot?

Pascal Oettli kridox at ymail.com
Wed Nov 21 05:02:57 CET 2012

Hello,

Your image is projected, not your panels.

Does it match what you are looking for?

wld <- map('world', xlim=c(west.lon.deg,east.lon.deg),
ylim=c(south.lat.deg,north.lat.deg),plot=FALSE)

wld <- data.frame(lon=wld$x, lat=wld$y)

state <- map('state', xlim=c(west.lon.deg,east.lon.deg),
ylim=c(south.lat.deg,north.lat.deg),plot=FALSE)

state <- data.frame(lon=state$x, lat=state$y)

sigdigs=3 # significant digits
# plot "appropriately" for atmospheric data: use
# * lattice::levelplot
# * one column, since atmospheric levels stack vertically
levelplot(
   concentration ~ longitude * latitude | level,
   data=data.3d.df, layout=c(1,n.lev),
   levs=as.character(round(data.3d.df[['level']], 1)),
   strip=FALSE,
   strip.left=strip.custom(
     factor.levels= # thanks, David Winsemius
       as.character(signif(unique(data.3d.df[['level']]), sigdigs)),
     strip.levels=TRUE,
     horizontal=TRUE,
     strip.names=FALSE,
     # gotta shrink strip text size to fit strip width:
     # more on that separately
     par.strip.text=list(cex=0.5)
   )
) +
   xyplot(lat ~ lon, state, type='l', lty=1, lwd=0.5, col='black') +
   xyplot(lat ~ lon, wld, type='l', lty=1, lwd=1, col='black')

Regards,
Pascal