[R] Why do i get "Error: unexpected input in "A<-lm(GandW ~ Authocracy, Data)"

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Nov 25 16:16:10 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas at sapo.pt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Another possibility is to use argument 'data' explicitly:
>
> A<-lm(GandW ~ Authocracy, data = Data)
>

> Hope this helps,

 It's not going to. The line parses very nicely as written, with or
without naming the argument.

The specific error the poster was getting only happens when you have
an input that doesn't parse. I have been having trouble reproducing
that error message but finally managed it by using that weird 'hook'
character in the top-left of my keyboard:

> z¬1
 Error: unexpected input in "z?"

 - which makes me think the link I pointed to about Macs mashing <-
into a single arrow character is the kind of thing that is happening.

 We wait....

Barry