[R] R strange behaviour when building huge concatenation

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Wed Nov 28 14:34:09 CET 2012

I'm sorry but that's far beyond my expertise.  I am sure there is and it does not "look" all that hard to read from a db but I tend to use small data sets or existing ones that don't usually have input problems like that .

I am using a bog-standard labtop with 4GB RAM with Ubuntu 12.10 and R2.15.2 so if there is a limit I would have thought I'd experience it.

So I'm out of ideas though for RStudio it might be worth asking it on their website and see if they have any suggestions about limits or if it is a peculiarity of your setup.

Here's my sessionInfo for comparison.

> Thank you to all you
> Cheers,
> Angelo
>

> 2012/11/27 John Kane [via R] <ml-node+s789695n4651040h45 at n4.nabble.com>
>
>> I am currently getting the very strange results that if I paste your
>> orginal data from your first message into my R terminal I get the same
>> errors you do. By the way that ";" is not needed in R.
>>
>> If I paste the same data into Rstudo, either into the editor or the
>> console it works fine.
>>
>> If I paste the data into gedit and send it to the console it works fine
>> but if I paste it into the gedita console I get your error messages
>> again.
>> A quick try, pasting it into an R buffer in EMACS seems to work just
>> fine.
>>
>> I have no idea what is happening unless jagat.k.sheth is correct and we
>> are hitting a buffer limit of some kind.
>>
>> I'd suggest getting a decent editor and going with it.  Working directly
>> in an R terminal is enough to drive most people crazy.
>>
>> Any of the editiors/ides mentioned above are good with different
>> strengtsts etc.  At a guess, Rstudio is the easiest to install and get
>> running on Ubuntu, gedit is pretty easy but you need to install the r
>> gedit
>> plug-in. EMACS as far as I can tell is very good and very powerful but I
>> have not used it enough to really comment on it.
>>
>> In any case one way or the other they can read in the data.  I'd also
>> suggest not even 'thinking' about writing a vector statement that long.
>> It
>> would be much easier to do something like write the numbers in a column
>> in
>> a spreadsheet and import from there. There are various ways to do this
>> but
>> the simplist would be to just save the file as a csv file and import it
>> using read.table or read.csv.
>>
>> I'm  sorry that I cannot be of more help. Perhaps one of the R gurus can
>> comment on the possible buffer problem.
>>
>> John Kane
>> Kingston ON Canada

>>> 2, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 0, 1, 0,
>>> 0,
>>> 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 7, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 2,
>>> 4,
>>> 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 1, 0, 4, 2, 0, 0, 1, 3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1,
>>> 0,
>>> 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2,
>>> 0,
>>> 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 2, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 3, 0, 0,
>>> 0,
>>> 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 3, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 2, 5,
>>> 0,
>>> 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0, 7, 0, 0, 2, 0, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0,
>>> 0,
>>> 0, 2, 0, 8, 0, 0, 5, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 3, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2,
>>> 1,
>>> 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0,
>>> 0,
>>> 3, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 9, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 2, 0, 1,
>>> 1,
>>> 1, 0, 0, 0, 2, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0,
>>> 0,
>>> 1, 4, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 1, 0,
>>> 0,
>>> 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 6, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 7, 0, 1, 2, 1, 1,
>>> 1,
>>> 0, 0, 1, 5, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 5, 1,
>>> 0,