[R] Fitting and plotting a coxph with survfit, package(surv)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 23:58:13 CET 2012

On Nov 28, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Maziar Mohaddes wrote:

> The nice thing with R (in contrary  to point and click statistical
> software) and this community is that you learn alot. Well u are forced to
> in order ro be able to ask the question :-)
> I am not only refering to codes provided helping me in the analysis but
> also pure statistical learning.

Yes. That is very true. The statisticians using R do not generally think that all the methods promulgated by the SAS and SPSS manuals are correct. I find it a challenge to keep the boundary between what I do know and do not know clear to myself. From time to time it becomes clear that I have stepped over than line and I generally hear about it quickly. This I think is good thing.

> What I am trying to plot is a true adjusted survival curve and I realise
> that survfit from coxph prob is not the right way to go.

There was an article a couple of years ago in JAMA from a group in Canada advocating for one version of a "true adjusted survival curve" rather than what might be called the naive "survival curve of the means." I don't think it matters much, myself.