[R] Deleting certain observations (and their imprint?)

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 17:50:57 CET 2012

Hi Kirk,

It's because tension is a factor with three levels, as you could see with
str(warpbreaks).

Factors are one of the mysteries of R that distinguish a novice from
an initiate.

Reading ?subset directs you to ?droplevels. Here's an example:

> summary(warpbreaks)
     breaks      wool   tension
 Min.   :10.00   A:27   L:18
 1st Qu.:18.25   B:27   M:18
 Median :26.00          H:18
 Mean   :28.15
 3rd Qu.:34.00
 Max.   :70.00
> str(warpbreaks)
'data.frame':    54 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ breaks : num  26 30 54 25 70 52 51 26 67 18 ...
 $ wool   : Factor w/ 2 levels "A","B": 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
 $ tension: Factor w/ 3 levels "L","M","H": 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 ...
> ?subset
> wb.subset <- warpbreaks[which(warpbreaks$tension=="L"),]
> summary(wb.subset)
     breaks      wool  tension
 Min.   :14.00   A:9   L:18
 1st Qu.:26.00   B:9   M: 0