[R] Transform pairwise observations into a table

AHJ ahadjixenofontos at med.miami.edu
Mon Oct 1 18:17:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a table of pairs of individuals and a coefficient that belongs to the
pair:

ind1	ind2	coef
1	1	1
1	2	0.25
1	3	0.125
1	4	0.5
2	2	1
2	1	0.25
2	3	0.125
2	4	0.5
3	3	1
3	1	0.125
3	2	0.125
3	4	0.5
4	4	1
4	1	0.5
4	2	0.5
4	3	0.5

And I want to convert it to a matrix where each individual is both a row and
a column and at the intersection of each pair is the coefficient that
belongs to that pair:

	1	       2	       3	         4
1	1	       0.25	       0.125	0.5
2	0.25      1	       0.125	0.5
3	0.125    0.125    1	        0.5
4	0.5	       0.5	       0.5	        1

If table() would allow me to specify something other than frequencies to
fill the table with, it would be what I need. I tried a few different
combinations of t() and unique() but none of it made enough sense to post as
my starting code... I am just lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
AHJ